Popular Posts

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Our Man in Europe/dave delacroix/the Naked Planet, No. 15: "Shrove Tuesday"...


Our Man in Europe/the Naked Planet, No. 15:  "Shrove Tuesday..."


"1 -a penny, 2 -a penny, Hot-Cross Buns!"

...Like my old MA, back in the 1960's, used to tell me every Shrove Tuesday: "Davey?" -she'd say, "WISDOM is FREE, but it takes a Life-time in the getting!"
I seem to recall - on hearing this - I experienced my first Spiritual doubts causing me to immediately resign from the School Choir, quit learning/playing Trumpet-reading Music (think I told the old MAN I had the beginnings of Arthritis - in my fingers - due to over-exposure to his chain-smoking (so far, so good), and complained of "headiness", especially around school-examinations time.
This excuse worked for 3 semesters (actually? For 3 whole years!). The Trumpet gathered dust. I started a "Postage" Stamp collection, read a lot of DICKENS and BIGGLES, and with my bro, Steve, the Captain of our School Rugger team, foundered a HAMSTER FARM (heady days!) and went camping in the (hills) Peak District of Derbyshire, England, where we met many hippies (usually stoned or drunk), looking FOR "headiness"! And without fail,  I always proffered an invitation for them to come on home with me and meet my MA who, in MY view, was "hunky-dory" with THE MAN (Wisdom!)...
None of these psychedelic folks - now, as I write, are not alive, or not feeling very well? - ever followed through. I wish they HAD! MA's opinion about "WOODSTOCK PEOPLE", actually, was quite ambivalent. The old Man? (PA). He'd a'blown smoke in their face!
Funny thing, Wisdom? It's encoded in EVERY ONE'S UN-whispered, middle name.

"MA! PA!? -I just met  6 UN-washed, lice-infested Hippies! Can I bring them home with me?"
"SURE, Son. No problem. Bring 'em on home in about 60 or 70 years!"
"DAAAAD!!!? -WHAAAAAAA!!!"
...And so it goes:

"1 -a penny, 2 -a penny, Hot-Cross Buns!"


c 2014/davedelacroix/now LORD BORGO/Torino, Italia...:)


No comments:

Post a Comment